To our friends and family....

We hope this site brings lots of smiles and much happiness! We love you all!

Monday, January 23, 2012

How does God choose?

How does God choose?

I think so many people take it for granted that they have children, even I do.

I think we forget what a miracle life is and how fortunate we are to be given life.

I think a lot of times, we have no idea what it feels like to not be able to have biological children, have a hard time getting pregnant or what it's like to experience a miscarriage; I think a lot of times, we choose to ignore or dodge the subjects of infertility, miscarriage etc because it just feels uncomfortable for us to try to be there for a friend who is experiencing this kind of pain; I know I have before.

Now, to be honest, I have never experienced a miscarriage, difficulty getting pregnant or infertility, but I have so many friends who have.

Although I do not understand the hurt and emotions that come with these situations, I have had some frustration (to God) on behalf of those who long for biological children or want to have another biological child (which I am sure does not even compare to the hurt they are experiencing).

I so very often wonder WHY? WHY GOD? It doesn't make sense that this is happening to "blank and blank" because they love you and they'd be such great parents. I also find myself wondering why God chooses to give children to some people....you know the ones who could care less about their child or at least act like that way.

I even ask God, why Scott and I have been given our boys and this baby that is coming? Not because in any way do I wish things were different; these babies are our loves!!...but because it just doesn't seem fair. I am no better than anyone else. Matter of fact, I am probably not half the parent that some of my friends could be if they had children. I feel so incredibly unworthy, but EXTREMELY BLESSED NONETHELESS.

I know that God is sovereign but it just doesn't make sense to me; I guess it doesn't have to make sense to me.

My prayer for my friends who have found themselves in these difficult times has been for comfort and trust. Comfort for the pain and trust in God. I have prayed for growth for them. And I continue to pray for my friends....

Here is a poem I found that gave a bit of light on how some of my friends must feel or must have felt at some point....it definetly helped bring some things to light for me and hopefully will for you to....

Deciding to have a baby is like planning a trip to Australia. You've heard it's a wonderful place. You've read many guidebooks and feel certain you're ready to go. Everyone you know has traveled there by plane. They say it can a turbulent flight with occasional rough landings, but you can look forward to be pampered on the trip.

So you go to the airport to ask the ticket agent for a ticket to Australia. All around you, excited people are boarding plans for Australia. It seems there is no seat for you: You'll have to wait for the next flight. Impatient, but anticipating a wonderful trip, you wait-and wait-and wait.

Flights to Australia continue to come and go. People say silly things like, "Relax, you'll get on a flight soon." Other people actually get on a plan and then cancel their trip to which you cry, "It's not fair!"

After a long time the ticket agent tells you, "I'm sorry, we're not going to be able to get you on a plane to Australia. Perhaps you should think about going by boat."

"By boat!" you say, "going by boat will take a very long time and it costs a great deal of money, I really had my heart set on going by plane." So you go home and think about not going to Australia at all. You wonder if Australia will be as beautiful if you approach it by sea rather than air. But you have long dreamed of this wonderful place, and finally you decide to travel by boat.

I'ts a long trip, many months over many rough seas. No one pampers you. You wonder if you will ever see Australia. Meanwhile, your friends have flown back and forth to Australia two or three more times, marveling about each trip.

Then one glorious day, the boat docks in Australia. It is more exquisite than you ever imagined, and the beauty is magnified by your long days at sea. You have made many friends during your voyage, and you find yourself comparing stories with others who also traveled by sea rather than air.

People continue to fly to Australia as often as they like, but you are able to travel only once, perhaps twice. Some say things like, "Oh, be glad you didn't fly. My flight was horrible: traveling by sea is so easy."

You will always wonder what it would have been like to fly to Australia. Still you know God blessed you with a special appreciation of Australia, and the beauty of Australia is not in the way you got there, but in the place itself.


3 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    As one of your friends who so badly wanted to fly to Australia, then was able to finally get there by boat and who now wants to fly again-but is being told to wait--THANK YOU for your post! THANK YOU for your friendship! THANK YOU for your prayers and THANK YOU for your love! Waiting is so hard, but in those times we grow closer to our Father and when we are finally able to see His plan unfold it is amazing!
    The emotions felt when you want so badly to have a baby and can't (for whatever reason) are so hard to describe with words. Comments from others sting (even when they are meant to comfort) and sometimes crying is the best medicine. You have listened to me cry and helped dry those tears with your love.
    We are so excited that you and Scott are adding baby #3 to the family! We can't wait for the day when you can celebrate our #2!!
    Love, hugs and kisses!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,

    I've written "this blog" over and over and over in my head in the last few years. I've wrestled with the Lord about "why? " Why do I have kids and no trouble having them when so many don't have that blessing or walk through miscarriage after miscarriage. My heart breaks for them and yet I know that the hurt I feel for them can not ever compare. I've struggled to know how to minister to those ladies in those situations when I feel like they look at me and want to punch me. I've asked a friend who was in the place of having had many miscarriages while hoping for a 2nd child how to minister to her and others. She gave me a lot of insight. One of those was to look for ways to be sensitive to them. Another thing she told me was that I could not stay in a place of feeling guilty because I have not been given that trial in my life but to be faithful with what the Lord has given me.
    My sister-n-law just had a miscarriage this last week, and I once again find myself asking, "why them and why not me?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. And sometimes you thought you were going to Australia and end up in Germany. Which is a really cool, beautiful place. Just not where you thought you were going. Thanks, friend. And congrats!

    ReplyDelete